Wednesday, November 26, 2008

NDFDA-TFS

Not-Designed-for-Disassembly, That's for Sure.
The need for urban living space and curiosity killed the printer. After being moved around from apartment to apartment and between three cities four times, it was time for my seven year old printer to go. But to go where? The thing still worked (unfortunately), but a free-ad on craigslist showed that nobody wanted a perfectly good printer. Where square foot in my Toronto apartment is about 4 or 5 dollars a square foot, it was actually costing me money and space to hang on to the beast. So what do you do with a decent printer that you no longer need? You take it apart!

It took me about 3 hours over 2 nights to fully take the bastard apart. I found a few interesting things inside the printer, but I think the most ridiculous was a huge 1/2" felt pad on the bottom of the housing whose sole job was to soak up excess ink that arrived via a tube. No wonder I always ran out of ink so quickly!

So THAT's were all my ink went!

I also salvaged a few freebies from the inside, including 4 motors, a really shiny inanimate steel rod, and some gears. Random? yeah......it is.

There were a few parts that I just couldn't take apart no matter how hard I pulled and smashed. Ultimately I found an approximate 38 screws, 50+ plastic parts, 30+ metal parts, 6 parts that I just couldn't figure out how to disassemble/destroy, and 4 motors that I will probably fashion into another robot in the near future.


Printer carnage.

No comments: