Monday, November 17, 2008

Copy e'vy'ting!


Painting that I got in Hong Kong. Real (toxic!) oil painting, real smile, real e'vy'ting!

As some may know, or little will know, as probably nobody reads this......but anyway, as some may know, I spent two months over the summer working in Shenzhen, China. Shenzhen itself is an interesting place itself, and I'll probably talk more about it over time as I run out of ideas, but I wanted to mention this little unknown village called Dafun Village (30 minutes beside Shenzhen). Unfortunately, I did not get a chance to hit it up while I was there, but it is definitely on my list of "stuff to do if I ever make it back into China before I die" list.

Basically, Dafen Village is a village that exists purely to create "bootleg" or copy paintings. The village boasts 600 art-packed stores, 8000 skilled artists (which is pretty much the make-up of the village's population), and pumps out 5000 copy Mona Lisa's a week. The paintings that some of the artists produce are actually really amazing quality. Although I didn't get a chance to check out the village, I did get a chance to bargain the socks off of some guy for a few paintings (which I'm sure are from Dafen). I've yet to figure out who the painter is, but I picked up a couple of his paintings, or at least copies of them, to give out to some family and friends.


Check out neat vid.

No comments: